The Pianoforte Tuners' Association was founded in 1913 as a trade union but was de-registered to become a professional body in 1972.
Since then its membership has gradually grown, proclaiming its commitment to improving standards, to the extent that, since 1975, all applicants for membership must pass practical and theoretical examinations to prove their ability as qualified tuners and/or technicians.
For many years the Association was based in London. However, since 1981 a Convention and Annual General Meeting has been held in different towns throughout Great Britain, to which all classes of membership and aspiring non-members are invited, where they may learn new techniques and hone their skills.
The Pianoforte Tuners' Association has an international membership.
Sir Henry Wood was President of the Pianoforte Tuners' Association from 1914 – 1944.
The Pianoforte Tuners' Association regularly host Training Days for its Members, taken by some of the most renowned names in the industry.
To purchase the History of the Pianoforte Tuners' Association 1913 – 2013 by Les Sherlock